Committees of the Session
- Chairs of committees need not be active session members.
- Every member of session will serve on a committee.
- Each committee will have at least one liaison to the session.
The Worship, Music and the Arts Committee is reponsible, with the Pastor and Minister of Music, for the worship services and for other musical and artistic events.
- The Discipleship Committee is responsible, with the Pastor, for Christian education, stewardship, service, and mission.
- The Evangelism and Fellowship Committee is responsible for outreach, publicity, and fellowship events.
- The Physical Resources Committee is responsible, with the Building Manager, the Church Administrator, and the Custodial staff, for the maintenance of the Church building and grounds.
Detailed Committee Responsibilities:
Worship, Music and the Arts:
- Arrange for preparation of the elements for the Lord’s Supper.
- Oversee worship services, including special services.
- Supervise care of the sanctuary, including all articles of worship, such as paraments, banners and flowers.
- Plan and coordinate special decorations for liturgical seasons.
- Arrange for liturgists.
- Oversee choirs and dancers (with the Minister of Music).
- With the Minister of Music, arrange for the concert series.
- Arrange for ushers for worship and special occasions.
- Supervise (with the pastor and Church Administrator) worship bulletin preparation.
- Assist the pastor with worship planning.
- Arrange for supply preachers (with the pastor).
- Arrange for homebound communion (with the pastor).
- Administer the Christian education program, including Bible study, children’s church, adult education, and youth ministry.
- Oversee other programs, such as young adults, Explorers, prayer ministry and Presbyterian Women.
- With the pastor, organize membership education and confirmation classes.
- With the pastor, arrange for training, ordination and installation of new officers.
- Develop a program of stewardship education.
- Support and promote mission beyond the congregation.
- Promote special offerings and recommend causes for local-church portions of offerings.
- Promote gifts to the endowment funds.
- Recommend to session representatives from Westminster to the Board of Directors of Union Communion Ministries and to Union Council.
Evangelism and Fellowship:
- Develop ways to share the story of Westminster in print, by advertising, and on the internet.
- Consult with Worship, Music and the Arts Committee on physical appearance of the sanctuary.
- Arrange for greeters and visitor follow-up.
- Arrange for church dinners and after church fellowship/coffee hour.
- Arrange for annual church picnic.
- Oversee visitation of homebound members.
- Monitor needs of the church building for repair and maintenance.
- Arrange for necessary repairs on a timely basis.
- With the Church Administrator, arrange for annual service contracts.
- Order emergency work when necessary.
- Plan major projects so as to avoid excessive expenditures in any one year.
- Bring plans for major budgeted projects to session for approval.
- Arrange for security of church and members.
- Schedule periodic work days.